0

Aussie journalists held hostage by Swan

Posted by JSYL on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 in
I'm just starting to try to wrap my head around tonight's much anticipated Federal Budget 2009-2010 announcement.



So far I've worked out:

1. I still have about half a year to cash in on the $AUD14,000 first home owners' grant if by then I change my mind and decide that, actually, 22 is the best age to lock myself down to a mortgage.

2. My biggest mistake of 2008 was not working enough to be able to pay taxes that year, therefore robbing myself the benefit of the little $900 present Mr Rudd recently gave everyone else to 'help the economy', i.e. 'go shopping' guilt-free. It now appears the Government's spending spree (including two one-off payments) is over, as Australia's third stimulus package will be spent largely on infrastructure.

But before I go bury myself in the pile of media speculation the size of Scrooge McDuck's swimming pool of gold coins that has no doubt already begun to accumulate online about what Mr Swan's speech means for the Australian and global economy, I thought I'd share with you a story about the historic tradition of 'locking up' journalists in Canberra in the lead-up to the announcement of the budget, which appeared in The Australian newspaper yesterday morning.

Feel free to mull over how ridiculous it is for as long as you like.

After all, I may not emerge for a few days.

|

0 Comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails